Search This Blog

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Caring for Your Introvert

Jonathan Rauch: Caring for Your Introvert
How can I let the introvert in my life know that I support him and respect his choice? First, recognize that it's not a choice. It's not a lifestyle. It's an orientation.

Second, when you see an introvert lost in thought, don't say "What's the matter?" or "Are you all right?"

Third, don't say anything else, either.
I have wanted to commit murder what constantly ordered to "Smile!" by some passing moron or constantly queried "Why are you always so sad?" or "Why are you always so serious?" by people who clearly were not interested in really knowing anything about me.

5 comments:

Foxfier said...

You haven't gotten the "please don't kill me!" response when you're deeply focused? (or maybe you just didn't notice it...)

A possibly sex based difference, female introverts generally respond much better to interruptions than male introverts. (The emphasis here on generally, and God help you if you get one of the ones that isn't.)

My mom jokes that the world is really roughly equal between intro and extro, it's just that the introverts are quiet so they're harder to notice. ;^)

Ilíon said...

"You haven't gotten the "please don't kill me!" response ...?"

I once got one possibly better -- "He's demon possessed!"

Drew said...

What is your MBTI type? INTJ?

Anonymous said...

For this, sir:

I owe you a drink.

@Drew: I'm an INTP myself. I think.

Ilíon said...

"What is your MBTI type? INTJ?"

I'm sorry; I got busy with other things and forgot that you'd asked this.

As I recall from the various times I've had to engage in those exercises, I test out as 'INTJ'