Search This Blog

Friday, March 23, 2012

If they ain't listenin' ...

... the' ain't much point in talkin'

Here is another example of someone, with whom I have broad sympathy, who isn't listening and has no intention of doing so -- Cornelius Hunter: "It seems you don’t understand theism very well, and are projecting your own version of theism onto others. The result is a false dichotomy between your version of theism and atheism, a false history, and a flawed understanding of evolutionary thought."

I hope to put up a fuller post about this, but no promises.

edit:
Oddly enough, I think it is safe to predict that Mr Hunter will not make the same false assertions about Mr Torley that he did of me.

2 comments:

matthew said...

Sorry, no.

Interesting subject for debate, and I look forward to your further thoughts on it, but his March 11 3pm posting bests you on every point.

With respect (as I'm sure you know).

Ilíon said...

Does not.

Consider just the statement I quoted -- the *reason* I quoted it is because what I'd said, that he wishes to dispute, doesn't in the least draw upon "my version of [some amorphous thing called] theism". What I said about God (which points are about the nature of the world!) comes not from the Christian revelation, but from reasoning about the observable world, and about human beings.

It just happens that the truth about reality, and the necessary truths about God, are consistent with Jewish-and-Christian teaching, and inconsistent with almost all other religious (and anti-religious) positions.