Search This Blog

Monday, December 28, 2009

It Always Gets Me

Almost every rendition of 'The Little Drummer Boy' I've ever heard causes me to choke up -- the love and the yearning the song expresses, and the wonder of having drawn a smile from the object of one's love, just gets to me; just thinking about it (as in, at this very moment) gets to me.

I probably ought not say this -- in case some atheist/secularist stumbles upon it -- but 'The Little Drummer Boy' is a very Christian song: we all are that boy, we all are poor and have nothing at all that is fit to give to The King, the Sovereign of the Universe, except ourselves.


Oddly enough, while I really like the group White Heart, I was able to get through this recording without choking up at all.

4 comments:

cathy said...

we all are that boy, we all are poor and have nothing at all that is fit to give to The King, the Sovereign of the Universe, except ourselves.

I like that a lot; it's really very lovely.

Ilíon said...

But do you know how embarrassing it is for a grown man to get choked up (every time!) by a schmaltzy song?

cathy said...

Well, I can guess. But I like that, too.

cathy said...

*sigh*

The "choking up" part; not the being embarrassed.